The Adirondack LT program has two distinct applications; one for employment at Silver Bay YMCA of the Adirondacks that you can read about below, and one to Reliant for participation in the program.
Acceptance as an employee of the Silver Bay YMCA of the Adirondacks is mandatory for participation in the Adirondack LT program. It is your sole responsibility to secure your own employment for Adirondack LT and that this is not a responsibility of Reliant, its employees, or the LT Program Directors. LT participants are expected to be good examples of leadership in the workplace and employment during the project. Involuntary termination or being fired from employment while at LT would result in the immediate dismissal from the LT program.
HOW DOES EMPLOYMENT AT THE YMCA WORK?
The YMCA of the Adirondacks employs all our participants and houses them in their dorms. Compensation includes food and housing plus approximately $300 per week in additional wages for 40 hours of work. Every worker is guaranteed at least 40 hours per week. In addition, there may be opportunities to work overtime at a higher rate of compensation.
IS IT MANDATORY THAT THE PARTICIPANTS WORK FULL-TIME? WHY?
As part of the Adirondack LT program, and as part of your employment agreement with the YMCA, each participant is required to work a full-time, 40 hr/week job.The reason for this is to provide an environment for meeting and building natural relationships - important for developing the skills you'll be learning this summer. Obviously, most participants will need to earn an income to help pay for LT, school, and personal expenses. Your job at the YMCA also secures and provides your food and housing for the summer.
DOES LT GUARANTEE EMPLOYMENT FOR ALL PARTICIPANTS?
LT cannot guarantee anyone a job for the summer. In fact, your participation in the Adirondack LT requires that you apply for and receive employment from the Silver Bay YMCA of the Adirondacks. Your hiring is completely up to the YMCA.
HOW DO I APPLY FOR ADIRONDACK LT?
There are two different and distinct applications. One through Reliant for participation in the program and one to the Silver Bay YMCA of the Adirondacks for employment. Acceptance as an employee of the YMCA is mandatory for participation in the program, except for Reliant employed interns.
You can apply online for a job at the YMCA of the Adirondacks by clicking here.
FURTHER YMCA APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
- In the paragraph under "How to Apply" click on the link that says "First-Time Emp Packet". You'll need to right-click on the adobe portfolio image that comes up in the webpage and save it to your computer. Then open it from within Adobe Reader.
- One important piece you need to make sure you put in the application: at the bottom of page 2, where it says "How did you learn about Silver Bay YMCA of the Adirondacks", please make sure you write in "Reliant LT Program". This will ensure the YMCA includes you in our pool of 50 guaranteed positions. However, if more than 50 LT students apply, they will consider your employment based upon a combination of if your LT application has been approved, when you applied (first come, first served), and who fits their employment needs.
- Another item when filling out the employment application: the dates of the LT program run from June 15 - August 18. Please make sure you put at least those dates where it asks for your "Earliest Arrival Date" and "Latest Departure Date". If you would like, feel free to write in an earlier and/or later date than these if you'd like to expand your employment time. Just understand that the YMCA will ultimately decide if they'd like to employ you beyond the LT dates.
- Don't forget to print and get/mail out your 3 Employment Reference Forms. Your Y employment application will not be considered until all three are received at the YMCA.
- The earliest the YMCA will begin reviewing applications is on January 1, 2019.